Shocked by the prices of beauty maintenance regimes in Hong Kong? But still, can’t give up on striving for the best beauty service and products?
We feel you. That’s why we’ve created the ultimate Hong Kong beauty guide.
From top to toe, everything you need to know about beauty in Hong Kong is here.
We promise, if you follow our beauty tips, you’re going to be floating around Hong Kong preened, perfect, and fabulous – with perfectly manicured feet, too, and a little more money in your wallet.
Here’s our lowdown on everything beauty-related in Hong Kong, covering:
- Buying makeup in Hong Kong
- Our favorite 10 makeup products from Cult Beauty
- How to find high-quality shampoo at better prices
- The best hairdressers in Central
- Finding a dentist that’s not going to cost the Earth
- Our recommendations on Botox injections
- Where to go for dermal filler injections
- The best nail salons for cheap manicures & pedicures
- Our top 5 skincare products from Cult Beauty
Let’s see how to get the best beauty product and best beauty services in Hong Kong…
Beauty: Where do I buy high-quality makeup at the best prices in Hong Kong?
Whether you wear a full face every day or barely a scrap most days, we prefer high-quality products at the best possible prices when it comes to buying makeup.
While we love Nars blush and adore Giorgio Armani Power Fabric Longwear Foundation, we’re happy to report that in Hong Kong, there are alternative, high-quality brands at low prices that you can buy.
In our complete post about where to go for makeup in Hong Kong, we give you all the tips we’ve accumulated over the years.
You find out:
- You can import top-class makeup from a UK website, Cult Beauty, with some of the industry’s biggest brands. It’s only a click and a speedy shipment away – check out their great value NARS, HUDA, and Benefit products, among many more.
- Kiko Milano, the Italian makeup brand that competes with NARS and MAC in terms of quality, but is only a fraction of the cost. Kiko Milano has stores in the city, so you can go check out their testers.
- Where to get the designer brands at a huge discount by importing directly from the UK, again. Sign up for Global+ membership with Selfridges, and you can order and have shipped practically every piece of big brand makeup delivered directly to Hong Kong.
- The local online makeup store that stocks the Western and Asian brands you love. Strawberrynet is a full-on website that’ll take some navigating, but we promise you will find great value bargains with brands like Stila, Covergirl, and Urban Decay.
- Where you can pick up YSL brands with big savings, Sasa is another online store with a host of bricks and mortar stores, so you can go in and check the shades before you invest.
- Which mall is absolute heaven for makeup lovers? The Argyle Centre in Mong Kok is packed with brands and discount makeup stores. Be on your toes with this one – there’s new stock in every week.
Why do we like Cult Beauty so much, and what are our 10 favorite makeup products?
When was the last time you went shopping for big brand makeup? In Hong Kong, makeup can be so expensive.
Have you ever wondered if there are cheaper ways to get your hands on high-quality makeup brands?
Frustrated by the pricing, we’d find in regular stores in Hong Kong for makeup products, we searched high and low for better options.
This is how we discovered Cult Beauty makeup, the UK-platform selling only high-quality “cult” products.
Why are we such a fan of this beauty platform?
- The pricing: we found that pricing was approximately 20% cheaper than buying in-store in Hong Kong. The VAT will be taken off your bill at the end of check-out!
- A huge amount of product information: the Cult Beauty website prides itself on giving consumers lots of information; you will find a large number of reviews which makes it easier to decide which products to buy.
- Convenience: your products will be delivered to your doorstep within a few days
- Carefully curated range: while the Cult Beauty website provides a wide range of choices, the website was set up with the goal of selling only products that have been proven and tested. This means that they’re already removing many lower-quality items when you’re buying from the Cult Beauty website.
One of the best beauty products we love from Cult Beauty is Charlotte Tilbury Luxury Palette of Pops – Dazzling Diamonds.
This luxurious palette of popping color is small enough to pop into your evening handbag. The colors combine to create a lot of different shimmery looks and can be applied either dry or wet.
Read our article to learn about our top 10 makeup products from Cult Beauty.
Imported directly from the UK, you get free shipping for orders over £70.
Beauty: How do I find affordable, quality shampoo and haircare in Hong Kong?
It’s not cheap to buy high-quality shampoo anywhere in the world, but Hong Kong, true to form, is more expensive than most.
Frustrated with pricing, we went on a mission to find out how to get our hands on high-quality shampoo at better prices in Hong Kong.
We found 5 ways to purchase shampoo in Hong Kong.
- Shampoo.hk: They have bricks-and-motor-stores and stock professional ranges with more than 1,500 products to keep your tresses content. The staff are very knowledgeable and give great advice on which products might be best for your hair, too.
- Strawberrynet: Offers discounted prices on select brands and products. Brands they sell include; Aveda, Goldwell, Joico, and Living Proof.
- Lookfantastic is a great option if you have hair with specific needs. Having tight curls, strong colors, or afro hair can pose challenges in Hong Kong when it comes to getting the right haircare range. Lookfantastic.com carries loads of specialist brands that’ll make looking after your unique hair type as easy as it was back home.
- Hunting for natural and organic shampoo in Hong Kong? iHerb is the place to shop. The health food shop has a diverse range of products, with brands like:
- Avalon Organics
Along with plenty more to cater to all hair types, whether you’ve got a sensitive scalp, frizz, curls to care for, or any other specialist hair need. The prices are as great as the choices you have – definitely worth checking out.
- If you need to urgently pick up some shampoo, head over to one of the more than 100 Sasa outlets in Hong Kong. While they have a rather limited range of shampoo, what they do sell tends to be high-quality at good pricing.
For the full guide to where to buy the best affordable shampoos, no matter your hair type, check out our detailed article on the topic.
Beauty: Where are the best hairdressers in Central Hong Kong?
As much as we always encourage you to step outside of Central to get the best prices, sometimes you just want the convenience of having good prices on your doorstep.
That’s why we’ve compiled a list of the best and most affordable Central hairdressers in Hong Kong.
It ain’t cheap to look good, but there’s nothing wrong in demanding your money’s worth.
In this article, we highlight the 7 best hair salons in Central Hong Kong, and we tell you the pros and cons of each. Hopefully, this article will help you decide where to go for a quick trim, a root-color, a blow-dry, or a Brazilian Blowout.
We’ve put our hair on the line and pulled together a list of the best hair salons in Hong Kong. The full details are in our article Best Affordable Hairdressers in Central Hong Kong, and we’ll drop a few of our suggestions here to give you a taster.
- For a trim, a tidy-up, and a very decent blow-dry, check out Michele Rene in Central. It’s run by a brother and sister team, and they do a blow-dry for just $158 – a great way to refresh for after-work drinks or to send you on your date without having to go home first.
- Mina Dev’ Will offers a fun salon vibe. For a set of highlights, the prices start at just $500, which is a rarity in this part of town.
- If you’d like a more luxurious salon, you can’t go past Glow. This is a beautiful salon offering a full array of beauty services. You can trust you will be getting only the best at this salon. Sioban, the owner, is committed to service and demonstrates her commitment to service daily.
Want to know more? Check out our article; we clearly state why we selected each of the salons, the pros and cons of each salon, and our overall summary of each salon.
Beauty: Where are the best-priced dentists in Hong Kong?
Maintaining a perfect smile gets costly, especially in an already-expensive city like Hong Kong. Dentists’ prices here tend to range from pretty expensive to crazy expensive.
For a super convenient location, bright, spacious, and wonderfully designed clinics, you’re going to be paying top dollar.
However, it is possible to find well-qualified and experienced dentists that don’t have super-shiny offices but still provide fabulous teeth-care. Without fancy clinics, the prices come down a lot.
We took the time to put together a pricing matrix on different services, including consultation, x-rays, and teeth-whitening. Click here to see the details.
We’ve looked at some of the best-value clinics in Central and beyond. Here’s some of the best we’ve found:
- Caritas Dental Clinic: non-government organization providing services at reasonable prices. You can expect to pay around $100 for a check-up.
- Smart Dental Centre has 11 locations across the city, including in Central. You’ll get the same treatment, whichever one you go with standardized practices. Simple stuff like fillings and extractions can be done at any of their locations, whilst their Smart Dental Specialist Center will do your implants, veneers, and orthodontics.
- Smith & Jain Dental and Implant Practice was set up by a dentist from New Zealand and are well-known in the ex-pat community. Dentists here are multilingual, with Spanish, German, and Greek plus English being spoken.
- Well Being Dental Services: 5 clinics with one in Central. This clinic’s goal is to provide high-quality dental healthcare at affordable pricing. We found this dental clinic to have the cheapest in-clinic Zoom whitening treatment.
A complete list of Central dentists that aren’t going to break the bank is available in our article about the best value dentists in Central Hong Kong.
Beauty: Where do I go to get safe and affordable Botox in Hong Kong?
Botox is a chemical you can have injected under your skin to stop your facial muscles from moving around. No more facial movement means lines aren’t going to develop in the first place.
It’s a popular preventative beauty treatment.
Another great thing that Botox can do is stop you from sweating in certain places. Sweaty feet got you sliding through your stilettos? Want to avoid the underarm sweat patch in your designer dress at a gala dinner?
You can get Botox injections to stop your sweat glands from working for a few months.
Getting Botox injections is a medical procedure, and we’ve got some great clinics here in Hong Kong. You still need to be safe, though. In our guide to getting Botox in Hong Kong, we cover everything you should be checking before you let anyone inject you.
We’ve got two favorite places to get Botox in Hong Kong.
We go into more detail about it them in our guide, but to give you an overview of our favorite places to get facial injections:
- Medik Pro has a few locations across the city, and which location you go to won’t change the pricing. A fully qualified doctor does injections, so you get peace of mind you’re working with experience, too.
- Medispa has different Botox brands to choose from, in case you have a preference from experience. Never had Botox before? Dr. Winnie Mui is known for looking after first-timers particularly well.
We also highlight two well-renowned clinics in Hong Kong that are famous for Botox injections. Yes, this will cost you more. Read our complete review of getting Botox injections in Hong Kong and make the decision that suits you best!
Beauty: Where should I go for dermal filler injections in Hong Kong?
You can easily top it back up with dermal filler injections, though.
Fillers have lots of different uses all over your face. They can work on increasing volume around your:
Making your looks more youthful and voluminous. Add the “bee-sting” look to your lips or enhance your cheekbones without having to contour every day by having fillers injected.
Just like with Botox, you need to be cautious when choosing where to get your dermal filler injections. Getting a good price is always satisfying, but you should never sacrifice safety and quality to save a few dollars.
This is your gorgeous face we’re talking about here!
Our guide to dermal fillers in Hong Kong gives you all the information you need to know about what to be asking and what to look out for.
As you’ll have figured out, many price issues are related to location when it comes to beauty products and services in Hong Kong. When you’re prepared to head away from fancy places right in the heart of the city, you’ll see much fairer prices.
The same is true for your dermal filler clinics in the city.
You already know we rate Medik Pro and Medispa for their Botox work, and it’s no surprise these are the exact same places we recommend for fillers. The doctors know what they’re doing and can help you choose the right treatments for different areas of your face.
However, we also provide information on two high-regarded clinics in Central that are very-well known for high-quality dermal filler injections.
Before getting dermal filler injections, feel free to quiz the doctor on their credentials and practices; no good clinic will be offended by you checking their qualifications.
Also, if you are unhappy with anything about Botox or dermal filler injections, be sure to tell your clinic straightaway. They will be very experienced in supporting you and making tweaks as necessary.
Beauty: Which are the best nail salons in Hong Kong?
Living in Hong Kong means getting regular pedicures and manicures is a must.
Yes, you can go to luxury spas for nail treatments. However, the cost of this will quickly add up.
On the other hand, if you’re happy to forgo the tinkly music, a large array of magazines, and luscious cups of herbal tea, you can get great manicures and pedicures in Hong Kong for reasonable prices.
We’ve written an article about the best and cheapest nail salons in Hong Kong because of our passion for finding quality at less expensive pricing.
In our article, we highlight our favorite 5 budget nail salons:
- Nail 20 in Sheung Wan is the place to head if you like long-lasting shellac nails. They will have you in and out in no time, your polish will last for at least 3 weeks, and the pricing will please you. The nail technicians are highly skilled at what they do, both in terms of nail work and the artistry of design. You’ll need an appointment; this place is usually packed!
- Nail and Beauty in Central is a good option if you’re in Central and need to get your nails done in a hurry. Kitty Le has been running the place for 13 years and has a huge fan base of returning customers. Even with her huge success, Kitty still runs happy hour promotions between 2-5 pm. If you’ve got a flexible schedule, it’s well worth going there for the discounts.
- Nail 88 is the place to go if you want the cheapest possible manicures and pedicures. You’ll be in and out quickly—locations in Kennedy Town, Wan Chai, North Point, and Sheung Wan.
- Queen’s Nail with two salons in Wan Chai is slightly more up-market than the other salons we mention in our article. Their salons and clean and quiet, and pricing is reasonable. They also offer other beauty services such as eyebrow shaping and eyelash tinting.
- Pikapika Nails is a quaint nail salon in Causeway Bay. They specialize in nail art, and if you’re a first-time customer, you’ll get a 30% discount.
Want an insider tip? If you’re cool with salon hopping, check out HKTV Mall discount offerings. You can find vouchers and offers for a range of nail services in locations across Hong Kong online.
Beauty: Where can I buy skincare products that offer effective results?
Short on time, and wishing for superb quality skincare that is effective with simple-to-follow usage instructions? We have you covered in a review of our 5 favorite Cult Beauty skincare products.
Cult Beauty is a website started by two women who aspired to create a platform that only sells effective “cult” beauty products that have been tried and tested. They’ve achieved just that!
A lot of products sold on Cult Beauty come with simple instructions on the bottles.
- and how to use the product.
Simple. But so helpful.
Not sure where to start with Cult Beauty, or want to try out some classic beauty items before spending your whole monthly pamper budget on a haul from the site? We’ve picked out five of our favorite products that you can read about in detail in our 5 Best Cult Beauty Products 2020 article.
Here’s a sneak peek at what we feature:
- Biossance Your Clean Routine – Overachievers Kit has an assortment of creams and moisturizers to rejuvenate your skin after a long day in the city. You get a small sample of five products for a complete skincare routine, ideal to know it’s going to work for you before investing in full-size items.
- Fresh Vitamin Nectar Glow Juice Antioxidant Face Serum smells of delicious oranges and makes your skin moist and glowy. Stock up on a few bottles in your order – one will only last you a month.
- Oskia Renaissance Cleansing Gel uses pumpkin enzymes to refresh your skin. You can use it as part of your makeup removal routine, and it even helps remove dead skin cells, leaving you looking fresh.
Best of all, the Cult Beauty website has a large number of honest reviews from its customers. You can easily see which products are highly rated, as well as the top pros and cons of each product.
This is skincare product shopping at its easiest. Shipping is fast and comes within a few days.
We are dedicated to helping make life in Hong Kong more affordable and more enjoyable.
We’ve really done our homework on beauty in Hong Kong. We have tried and tested many salons and products, and what we are bringing to you in this article is quality beauty products and beauty services at good pricing.
We hope our beauty tips help you look fantastic while living in this exhilarating city.
If we’ve missed any hidden beauty gems, please let us know in the comments below. We can’t wait to learn more.
- Complete guide to doing Botox in Hong Kong
- Nails in Hong Kong: best shellac & more
- Our 5 favorite Cult Beauty products
This page contains affiliate links meaning I earn a small commission if you use those links.