Shocked by the prices of beauty maintenance regimes in Hong Kong? But still, can’t give up on striving for the best beauty service and products?
We feel you. That’s why we’ve gathered together the ultimate Hong Kong beauty guide.
From top to toe, everything you need to know about beauty in Hong Kong is here.
We promise, if you follow our beauty tips, you’re going to be floating around Hong Kong preened, perfect, and fabulous – with perfectly manicured feet, too, and a little more money in your wallet.
Here’s our lowdown on everything beauty-related in Hong Kong, covering:
- Buying makeup in Hong Kong
- How to find an affordable and quality shampoo
- Hairdressers you can trust with your style and your bank balance
- Finding a dentist that’s not going to cost the Earth
- Preventing your wrinkles and sweat with Botox injections
- Smoothing out lines and plumping things up with fillers
- Where to go for well-priced mani & pedis
Let’s see how to get the best beauty product and best beauty services in Hong Kong…
This page contains affiliate links meaning I earn a small commission if you use those links.
Where do I buy quality and good value makeup in Hong Kong?
Whether you wear a full face every day or barely a scrap most days, you don’t want to be overspending on makeup.
Don’t get us wrong – some designer stuff is amazing. Bare Minerals foundation is life, and who hasn’t fallen a little in love with a MAC lipstick before? However, there are not the only alternative, high-quality brands that you can buy, but also different ways of getting the stuff you want.
In our complete post about where to go for makeup in Hong Kong, we give you all the tips we’ve accumulated over the years.
You find out:
- You can import top-class makeup from a UK website, Cult Beauty, with some of the biggest brands in the industry. It’s only a click and a speedy shipment away – check out their great value NARS, HUDA, and Benefit products, among many more.
- The Italian makeup shop that competes with NARS and MAC in terms of quality but is oftentimes a fraction of the cost. Kiko Milano has stores in the city so you can go check out their testers.
- Where to get the designer brands at a huge discount by importing direct from the UK, again. Sign up to Global+ membership with Selfridges and you can order and have shipped practically every piece of big brand makeup delivered direct to Hong Kong.
- The local online makeup store that stocks the Western and Asian brands you love. Strawberrynet is a full-on website that’ll take some navigating, but we promise you’re going to find great value bargains with brands like Stila, Covergirl, and Urban Decay.
- Where you can pick up YSL brands with big savings. Sasa is another online store with a host of bricks and mortar stores so you can go in and check the shades before you invest.
- Which mall is absolute heaven for makeup lovers. The Argyle Centre in Mong Kok is packed with brands and discount makeup stores. Be on your toes with this one – there’s new stock in every week.
Beauty; where can I get imported makeup in Hong Kong?
When was the last time you went shopping for big brand makeup? In Hong Kong, makeup can be so expensive.
Have you ever wondered if there are cheaper ways to get your hands on high-quality makeup brands?
If you like great quality makeup at affordable prices, that’s where Cult Beauty makeup steps up to the plate.
Imported direct from the UK, you get free shipping for orders over £70.
Also awesome is the standard 20% discount you get because you don’t have to pay VAT on your order. The prices are plenty cheaper than you’ll find for the exact same item here, making online ordering completely worth it.
Not sure where to start with Cult Beauty, or want to try out some classic beauty items before spending your whole monthly pamper budget on a haul from the site? We’ve picked out five of our favorite products that you can read about in detail in our 5 Best Cult Beauty Products 2020 article.
Here’s a sneak peek at what we feature:
- Biossance Your Clean Routine – Overachievers Kit has an assortment of creams and moisturizers to rejuvenate your skin after a long day in the city. You get a small sample of five products for a complete skincare routine, ideal to know it’s going to work for you before investing in full-size items.
- Fresh Vitamin Nectar Glow Juice Antioxidant Face Serum smells of delicious oranges and makes your skin moist and glowy. Stock up on a few bottles in your order – one will only last you a month.
- Oskia Renaissance Cleansing Gel uses pumpkin enzymes to refresh your skin. You can use it as part of your makeup removal routine, and it even helps remove dead skin cells, leaving you looking fresh.
How do I find affordable, quality shampoo and haircare in Hong Kong?
Prices of top-end shampoo can curl your hair as well as your toes. It’s not cheap to get good shampoo anywhere, but Hong Kong, true to form, is more expensive than most.
As with so much in the city, moving your beauty buying habits online will cut your costs dramatically.
Some of our online picks for haircare in Hong Kong do have retail outlets, too, so you can still support the high street.
Getting big brands at the right prices can be tough. If you want to buy:
- Moroccan Oil
- Living Proof
- Brazilian Blowout
And other big brands, you need to check out Shampoo.hk. They stock professional ranges and have more than 1,500 products to keep your tresses content.
The staff offer great beauty advice on how to find the right products for your hair, too.
Not all hair is the same, and we all have different needs.
Having tight curls, strong colors, or afro hair can pose challenges in Hong Kong when it comes to getting the right haircare range.
Lookfantastic.com carries loads of specialist brands that’ll make looking after your unique hair type as easy as it was back home.
Hunting for natural and organic shampoo in Hong Kong? iHerb is the place to shop. The health food shop has a diverse range of products, with brands like:
- Avalon Organics
Along with plenty more to cater to all hair types, whether you’ve got a sensitive scalp, frizz, curls to care for, or any other specialist hair need. The prices are as great as the choices you have – definitely worth checking out.
For the full guide to where to buy the best affordable shampoos, no matter your hair type, check out our detailed article on the topic.
Where are the great hairdressers with the best prices in Central Hong Kong?
As much as we always encourage you to step outside of Central to get the best prices, sometimes you just want the convenience of having good prices on your doorstep.
That’s why we’ve compiled a list of the best and most affordable Central hairdressers in Hong Kong.
It ain’t cheap to look good, but there’s nothing wrong in demanding your money’s worth. If you’re looking for a quick trim, a root-color or a blow-dry, try any one of these salons.
We’ve trawled the area, chatted with our girlfriends, and pulled together a list of the best-priced hair salons in Hong Kong. The full details are in our article Best Affordable Hairdressers in Central, Hong Kong, and we’ll drop a few of our suggestions here to give you a taster.
For a trim, a tidy-up, and a very decent blow-dry, check out Michele Rene in Central. It’s run by a brother and sister team, and they do a blow-dry for just $158 – a great way to refresh for after-work drinks or to send you on your date without having to go home first.
Mina Dev’ Will is more of a classic salon vibe, offering coloring and restyles with confidences. For a set of highlights, the prices start at just $500, which is a rarity in this part of town.
Looking for a Brazilian blowout in Hong Kong? Head here for this miracle treatment that smooths and straightens your hair for ages. The stylists here are on top of the latest trends and will give you what you’re looking for without charging you the Earth to get it.
Beauty; where are the best-priced dentists in Hong Kong?
Maintaining a perfect smile gets costly, especially in an already-expensive city like Hong Kong. Dentists’ prices here tend to range from pretty expensive to crazy expensive.
Some of what you pay for with expensive dentists is the lovely clinic space. For a super convenient location, bright, spacious, and wonderfully designed clinics, you’re going to be paying top dollar.
However, it’s easy to find well-qualified and experienced dentists that don’t have the super-shiny offices but provide fabulous teeth-care. Without fancy clinics, the prices come down a lot.
We’ve looked at some of the best-value clinics in Central and beyond. Here’s some of the best we’ve found:
- Smart Dental Centre has 11 spots across the city, including in Central. You’ll get the same treatment whichever one you go with standardized practices. Simple stuff like fillings and extractions can be done at any of their locations, whilst their Smart Dental Specialist Center will do your implants, veneers, and orthodontics.
- Smith & Jain Dental and Implant Practice was set up by a dentist from New Zealand and is well-known in the ex-pat community. Dentists here are multilingual, with Spanish, German, and Greek plus English being spoken.
- Dr. Gregory Taylor trained in the US and has been a board-certified dentist in Hong Kong since 2008. He specializes in dental surgery like surgical extraction and bone grafting procedures, as well as a range of other specialized procedures.
A complete list of Central dentists that aren’t going to break the bank is available in our article with the seven best value dentists in Central, Hong Kong.
Where do I go to get safe and affordable Botox in Hong Kong?
Hong Kong is all kinds of fun and amazing, and you’ll show it on your face. Laughter lines come to all of us, but we don’t have to blithely accept them.
Botox is a chemical you can have injected under your skin to stop your facial muscles from moving around. No more facial movement means lines aren’t going to develop in the first place.
It’s a popular preventative beauty treatment.
Another great thing that Botox can do is stop you from sweating in certain places.
Sweaty feet got you sliding through your stilettos? Want to avoid the underarm sweat patch in your designer dress at a gala dinner?
You can get Botox injections to stop your sweat glands from working for a few months.
It is a medical procedure to get Botox, and we’ve got some great clinics here in Hong Kong. You still need to be safe, though. In our guide to getting Botox in Hong Kong, we cover everything you should be checking before you let anyone inject you.
We’ve got two favorite places to get Botox in Hong Kong. Honestly, there’s not a lot to choose between them, we’ve been to both for more than just Botox, and they’ve each been great every time.
We go into more detail about it them in our guide, but to give you an overview of our favorite places to get facial injections:
- Medik Pro has a few locations across the city and where you go won’t change your pricing. Injections are done by a fully qualified doctor, so you get peace of mind you’re working with experience, too.
- Medispa have different Botox brands to choose from, in case you have a preference from past experience. Never had Botox before? Dr. Winnie Mui is known for looking after first-timers particularly well.
I’m past Botox; it’s time for fillers. Where do I go?
Botox stops the wrinkles from forming, but when the world catches up with you, it’s time for fillers. As we age, our skin starts to lose its plumpness and firmness.
You can easily top it back up with dermal filler injections, though.
As you’ll have figured out, when it comes to beauty products and services in Hong Kong, a lot of the price issues are related to location. When you’re prepared to head away from fancy places right in the heart of the city, you’ll see much fairer prices.
The same is true for your dermal filler clinics in the city.
Fillers have lots of different uses all over your face. They can work on increasing volume around your:
Making your looks more youthful and voluminous. Add the “bee-sting” look to your lips or enhance your cheekbones without having to contour every day by having fillers injected.
Just like with Botox, you need to be cautious when choosing where to get your dermal filler injections. Getting a good price is always satisfying, but you should never sacrifice safety and quality to save a few dollars.
This is your gorgeous face we’re talking about here!
Our guide to dermal fillers in Hong Kong gives you all the information you need to know about what to be asking and what to look out for.
You already know we rate Medik Pro and Medispa for their Botox work, and it’s no surprise these are the exact same places we recommend for fillers. The doctors know what they’re doing and can help you choose the right treatments for different areas of your face.
Both clinics are doctor-led and have decades of experience behind them. You’re still welcome to quiz them about their credentials and practices; no good clinic will be offended by you checking their qualifications.
Beauty; what are the best nail salons in Hong Kong?
Big experiences come at big prices. Yes, you can go to luxury spas for nail treatments. However, this will come with luxury-level beauty pricing.
On the other hand, if you’re happy to forgo the tinkly music, a huge array of magazines, and luscious drinks you can get great manicures and pedicures in Hong Kong for reasonable prices.
Since you likely bet getting your nails done pretty regularly, the cost does stack up. That’s why we’ve written an article about the best and cheapest nail salons in Hong Kong!
Looking to get shellac nails in Hong Kong? Nail 20 in Sheung Wan is the place to head when you’re short on time but need beautiful nails; head here for great service.
The nail technicians are highly skilled at what they do, both in terms of nail work and the artistry of design. You’ll need an appointment; this place is usually packed!
When you don’t want to venture too far, check out Nail and Beauty in Central. Kitty Le has been running the place for 13 years and has a huge fan base of returning customers.
Even with her huge success, Kitty still runs happy hour promotions between 2-5pm. If you’ve got a flexible schedule it’s well worth going there for the discounts.
Want an insider tip? If you’re cool with salon hopping, check out HKTV Mall discount offerings.
You can find vouchers and offers for a range of nail services in locations across Hong Kong online.
We’re a little bit in love with this website and check it out regularly; you should too if you want cheap nail salon offers!
We are dedicated to helping make life in Hong Kong more affordable and more enjoyable.
We’ve really done our homework on beauty in Hong Kong. We have tried and tested many salons, and what we are bringing to you in this article is quality beauty products and beauty services at good pricing.
We hope our beauty tips help you look fantastic while living in this exhilarating city.
If we’ve missed any hidden beauty gems, please let us know in the comments below. We can’t wait to learn more.