The cost of throwing a children’s birthday party in Hong Kong can quickly add up. But fear not, there are plenty of ways to host an inexpensive birthday party for your kids without compromising on the fun.
Throwing a birthday party in Hong Kong for your little one doesn’t have to break your bank.
This article explains how to plan a budget-friendly kid’s birthday party in Hong Kong that will guarantee to put smiles on everyone’s faces – for both kids and parents.
In this article, we will cover:
- Inexpensive venues
- Entertainment that you can prepare ahead of time
- How to save money on decorations
- Inexpensive food ideas
- Environmentally friendly goodie bags
- Options for birthday cakes
Step 1: Select an inexpensive venue for a kid’s birthday party in Hong Kong.
The bottom line is that there is no need to spend a lot of money on party venues when there are plenty of inexpensive and free venues for hosting kids’ parties.
You can consider your own home, local parks, or Hong Kong membership clubs.
Venue for a birthday party: Your own home
- Start the party at your house and compliment it with other facilities at your building; this may include a pool or clubhouse.
- It will save you tons of money and, at the same time, make it easier to engage your guests!
- Remember, you may be bored with your own house, but kids are always super excited to visit another kid’s house.
Venue for a birthday party: Local Parks
- The parks mentioned below all offer fun activities for the kids, whether it’s the super long slide at Hong Kong Park or the myriad of climbing equipment at Mount Austin Playground.
- Many parks in Hong Kong have built-in entertainment to keep kids occupied.
- Not only do parks offer plenty of space for kids to run around freely, but they also provide space for you to host your own activities and games.
Venue for a birthday party: Hong Kong’s membership clubs
- If you or your friend are a member of one of Hong Kong’s membership clubs (e.g., the Cricket Club or the LRC), you could host a party as a “play-date.”
- The best part of hosting a party as a play date is that you won’t have to pay for booking a room, instead, let the kids enjoy the facilities (pools, indoor and outdoor play areas).
- This idea works very well, particularly on a weekday when clubs are less crowded.
- At a membership club, catering is often provided at relatively low prices.
Step 2: Prepare inexpensive entertainment for the birthday party
Kid’s entertainers can be great, but if you prepare entertainment in advance, it’s fairly easy to provide your young guests with a really good time without spending much money.
The below games should keep children engaged and entertained!
Inexpensive games and activities for kid’s birthday parties:
- Musical statues: this costs nothing and gets younger kids excited; remember to bring out some funky tunes and a great speaker!
- Pass the parcel: another favorite and costs little.
- Make cute wooden bead jewelry; plan ahead and buy Melissa & Doug Sweet Hearts Wooden Bead Set.
- Pinatas: are fun for many age groups.
- Sandart: you can order pre-made packs from Amazon. We love Melissa and Doug’s sand art pack. Another option is to purchase art sand and containers separately from art supply stores.
- Decorate cupcakes or cookies: ingredients can easily be bought at any supermarket. Remember to pre-bake the cupcakes or cookies, so they’re ready to be decorated.
- Try some craft activities for the party; go to Craft Supplies Store (Mongkok and Wanchai) or Bead Box (Sham Shui Po) to gather some supplies.
Step 3: Inexpensive decorations for a birthday party
If you want to host an inexpensive kid’s party in Hong Kong, there is no need to spend too much money on decorations. Decorations can be expensive and often don’t add a lot in terms of kid’s overall enjoyment.
However, if you want to add some decorations, consider buying decorations that you can use for multiple occasions. Skip single-use items such as helium balloons and opt for non-theme specific happy birthday signs and table cloths that can be reused many times.
For decorations, take a trip to Fuk Wing St in Sham Shui Po (MTR Exit B2) for a variety of cheap decor. Another good place to secure party supplies at low prices is CN Square; read our CN Square review here.
Step 4: Inexpensive food ideas for a birthday party
There’s no party without good food, and when it is your kid’s birthday party, the servings have to be unique and special.
Yes, you could consider hiring a catering company. You could also go with foods that children recognize and serve them in different shapes, colors, and wrappers to make the food more attractive and the experience more fun.
Here’s a list of some lip-smacking dishes that kids tend to enjoy:
- Mini Pizzas: Kids simply love pizzas; let the kids choose their own toppings to turn it into a fun and quick food activity.
- Taco bar: Tacos are a favorite of most kids; let the kids build their own tacos will make things more enjoyable.
- Fun fruit sticks: Try making colorful fruit sticks for your little guests in different shapes and sizes. You can also carve different characters out of fruit.
- Sandwiches: Serve your little guests with bite-size sandwiches in playful shapes and colored bread with their favorite filling of cheese and meats inside.
- Tortilla chips and dips: Let the kids enjoy some tortilla chips and dips made of healthy ingredients. These should be creative enough to catch kids’ attention at the party.
- Rainbow cupcakes: This is something that never fails to impress the kids. Serve them rainbow cupcakes in bright colors and decorations, giving them the best dessert experience at your kid’s birthday party.
- Fried chicken: Quick and kid-friendly, fried chicken is a great addition to your little one’s birthday menu.
- Strawberry Cheesecake Ice Cream: Filled with sumptuous strawberries and topped with crunchy crackers, this is the yummiest dessert to serve your little guests.
Step 5: Tips for buying Goodie Bags for a birthday party
Save the environment and consider not sending kids home with unneeded items.
But if you feel the pressure to provide goodie bags, be environmentally friendly and ensure that your goodie bags won’t be thrown out. Also, try to avoid filling up the goodie bags with plastic items that will quickly become redundant.
Instead of sending your little guests home with a bunch of plastics objects instead, consider sending them home with one of the following crafty items. You can also consider storybooks or home-baked goods.
3 good options for goodie bags
Wooden Magnets: How about organizing a magnet decorating activity? Melissa & Doug Paint Magnets Craft Kit is all you need. Let your little guests showcase their talent and their creativity in this fun decoration and coloring session.
This 3-pack of wooden magnets has a total of 12 magnets in different shapes; flowers, hearts, and butterflies. The pack includes 4 paint pots, 12 gem stickers, a paintbrush, and glitter glue. This will be a perfect birthday activity for the little ones to enjoy, and their decorated pieces can be given away as take-home favors.
Reusable Sticker Pads: Another great option as a birthday return gift, the Melissa & Doug reusable sticker pads are known to refine the motor skills of children, enhance their narrative thinking, and help them learn about different colors, their combinations, commonalities, and themes. Activities like these sharpen the minds of tiny-tots and make them more expressive about their surroundings.
This Melissa & Doug reusable sticker pad bundle comes in reusable vinyl stickers, consisting of fairy, princess, dress-up, and playhouse theme stickers, which are easy to peel-off and rearrange. The package includes four full-colored glossy background pages for a clean and attractive display of your kid’s favorite fairytale characters.
Water Wow Bundles: Kids love filling up the markers with water so they can discover what pictures are underneath. You can buy these in a pack of 3 to help reduce the cost. Kids love these and generally will finish the entire pad.
Step 6: Cakes for a kid’s birthday party in Hong Kong
For birthday cakes, we like the following 3 options:
- Home bakers
- Buy a cake which is both tasty and provides entertainment
The cheapest option for a birthday cake is, of course, to make one yourself. Get creative and crafty by baking a cake; there are plenty of great recipes for baking kid’s birthday cakes.
Another great alternative (which is pretty much full-proof) is to decorate a frozen SaraLee Cake. These cakes are delicious; no one will ever need to know that you didn’t bake it yourself.
Another relatively inexpensive option for a birthday cake is to order one from a home baker; we love to support independent businesses, and Hong Kong has many home bakers. We like Japneet Chahal’s cakes from Party Mate Cakes.
Japneet can style her cakes in almost any way you want (from cars to unicorns); they are super tasty and look amazing.
Think you’ve done enough saving? Splash out on a fun, interactive cake from Bombshell.
The cakes feature a hard shell for the kids to smash before physically getting into the delicious inner cake layer. Acting as food and entertainment for the kids, this cake is sure to put a smile on your kid’s face.
We like the Bunny Bomb 7″ for $1,688.
The 3 best craft activities to have ready for a party
Organizing a fun birthday event for your little one doesn’t have to be costly. It just requires you to be creative; that’s all.
Today’s birthdays are much more than just cake-cutting and dancing. You can plan out different activities to keep your little guests engaged, like coloring competitions, baking, icing, jewelry making, and so much more.
Here we list some popular birthday party activities that children will love. These activities are great to either do at the party and also great for goodie bags.
Recreating Birdhouses: This wooden birdhouse painting activity will serve a dual purpose; one, it will bring out the artist in your little guests, and two, it will help them to understand to respect nature.
These paintable wooden birdhouses come in durable plywood material, a 3-piece set of unpainted birdhouses with strings attached. The package contains 12 paint pieces in 12 different colors with 3 paintbrushes, enough to get that creativity on point. Besides being a fun birthday party activity, these birdhouses also make amazing eco-friendly return gift options for the kids.
Building & Decorating Wooden Cars: These magical, wooden cars craft kits will keep excitement intact and creativity levels high. This wooden car craft set can be a fun birthday party activity or a great return gift.
These DIY wooden car kits come in pre-cut pieces that are easy to assemble. The package includes 42 pre-cut and sanded wooden pieces to make 3 cars and also includes 12 different acrylic paint pots, 2 paintbrushes, 3 glue pots, and sticker sheets with an easy instruction manual. It is a perfect activity that involves building, painting, and playing, all at the same time.
Rock Painting: Involve the kids in something that is both creative and educational; a rock painting kit. Creating arts from rocks can take the fun to another level altogether.
This rock painting kit comprises 10 rocks, 8 waterproof paint colors, rock transfer designs, stickers, and a paintbrush for endless creative fun. All the art supplies are non-toxic and completely safe for the kids to play around with and showcase their talent.
The 3 best photographers for a kid’s birthday party
Capture the precious moments of your little one’s birthday with Hong Kong’s best photographers on board.
- Little Stories-the Moment by Amy: Known for her fine art aesthetics, founder Amy’s photography brings uniqueness to every click. Inspired by modern arts, her photography will infuse liveliness into the photos.
- DFN Studios: Those magical memories of your little one’s birthday are worth every click. With over 10 years of experience in the field, they are specialists in shooting birthday parties and making your special event worth remembering.
- DRF Photography: The winner of 2019’s best family and kid’s photographer, DRF is known best for capturing the natural expressions of kids and their families. They know how to make children feel comfortable and relaxed. Their photoshoots are fun, relaxing, and interactive.
The 5 best entertainers to hire for a kid’s birthday party
If you just want to take it easy on the day and don’t want to stress about how to keep the kids entertained, we recommend the following entertainers:
- Want to make your kid’s birthday party a fun-filled dancing affair? Go with NattyBop; they will keep your little guests totally engaged and entertained with their themed party games and an hour of dance entertainment.
- How about partying while learning? Doesn’t that sound cool? Yes, it does, and Jurassic Garage provides just this. With lots of animal pals in their team, they make your little one’s birthday celebrations exciting, educational, and so much fun.
- Face painting never goes out of fashion and helps turn any kid’s birthday celebration into a fun time; from superheroes to cute kitties. And, with Dee Face Paint as your little guests’ face painters, things will be super fun and exciting. They are simply the best.
- Surprise your kid and their friends with fun activities from Hong Kong Toy Club. They can supply you with various items from bouncy castles, ball pools, car rides, and so much more.
- From magicians, clowns, jugglers, dancers, storytellers to several exciting party games, Kids party.hk leaves no stone unturned to help keep you and your little guests fully entertained. Each entertainer has its own unique style to get the kids involved in their shows. You won’t go wrong with them.
What are the best parks for hosting a kid’s birthday party?
- Hong Kong Park, 19 Cotton Tree Drive, Central, Hong Kong
- Mount Austin Playground, Mount Austin Road, The Peak, Hong Kong
- Chung Hom Kok Beach, just down the road from Stanley Plaza.
- Cyberport Podium, Cyberport Road, Telegraph Bay
- Inspiration Lake, just outside Disneyland, Penny’s Bay
An amazing kid’s birthday party will delight both kids and adults alike. We hope these ideas help you to spend less money without compromising on quality.
If we missed a key point on hosting a fabulous yet inexpensive kid’s birthday party, please let us know in the comments section below.
If you’re interested to learn more about kids and life in Hong Kong, check out Kids in Hong Kong: Your Complete Guide. In this article, we cover tips for buying textbooks in Hong Kong, how to choose an international school, where to buy craft supplies, where to buy high-quality kid’s clothing at reasonable prices.
- Our favorite stores for buying high-quality yet reasonably priced kid’s clothing
- Guide to buying textbooks in Hong Kong
This page contains affiliate links meaning I earn a small commission if you use those links.