If you are wondering why you should hire a personal stylist, we are here to help.
Feel like you have a wardrobe packed with clothes but nothing to wear? It’s probably a good time to considering hiring a stylist.
A personal stylist will help you to determine which pieces in your wardrobe should stay and which should go. Also, a stylist will help to create a diversified wardrobe for all occasions.
If the thought of hiring a stylist seems overwhelming, it’s important to know that most stylists offer comprehensive overviews of their service in an initial consultation. The initial consultation should help to ease any concerns you might have.
Want to know more? In this article, topics we will cover include:
- 5 reasons to hire a personal stylist
- The steps involved with hiring a personal stylist
- Why a personal stylist is a good investment
Now is the perfect time to consider investing in your image by hiring a personal stylist.
What is a personal stylist?
A personal stylist is someone who can help you improve your image by understanding what clothing and accessories best suit your body and lifestyle. They might also provide advice on hair and makeup.
What are the 5 key benefits of hiring a personal stylist?
- You will stop wasting money on items you don’t need or don’t suit you.
- A good stylist can teach you how to make the most out of your existing wardrobe.
- A personal stylist will help to craft the image you want to present to the world.
- You can stop looking in your wardrobe and feeling despair at having nothing to wear
- You will get a clear sense of which items are missing from your wardrobe and which items you should stop buying.
I want to hire a personal stylist; what are the steps involved?
Typically, you can expect to do an initial consultation with the stylist. During this initial consultation, you should get a good understanding of both the process and pricing.
The next step will be a wardrobe evaluation.
During the evaluation, the stylist should be able to tell you which clothes need donating, which clothes need altering, which clothes to keep, as well as what the gaps are in your wardrobe.
After the wardrobe evaluation, you may want to regularly hire a stylist, such as monthly or quarterly – it will all depend on your needs.
When should I hire a personal stylist?
If you want an entire wardrobe overall, hiring a personal stylist is a good idea. You might also have changed jobs or want to change careers, in which case hiring a stylist to craft a new image might be appropriate.
Personal stylists offer a multitude of services that can assist with one’s image. Services that a personal stylist might offer include:
- Wardrobe organization and advice on the key missing items
- Crafting a new or updated image
- Help to shop for a specific event
- Seasonal shopping
Why hiring a personal stylist is a good option.
Is your wardrobe packed to the brim with clothes, yet still, you feeling like there’s nothing to wear. Why is that? The answer is complex and different for everyone.
Some people struggle to say goodbye to items, even if they never wear them. Some items of clothing might hold certain nostalgia. In contrast, maybe some items no longer fit but are kept as weight loss motivation.
On a different note, you may have been buying the wrong items for years. If you’ve been doing this, you might have collected a diverse range of clothing that doesn’t work for your body shape.
Stylists regularly hear that people buy items impulsively without really thinking about whether or not they were needed. Are there particular items, styles, colors, or cuts that you keep buying over and over again?
Why is it important to feel your best?
The clothes we wear can affect our moods, our performance, and the way others perceive us. Investing in your image and putting in the effort to make sure that you’re wearing clothes that suit you best should bring you joy.
Everyone who has ever worn a tailored suit knows that doing so evokes a feeling of power. In the same way, a classic, little, black dress can give you an air of immediate sexiness, and a pair of sweatpants can deliver instant chill.
This is where a personal stylist comes in. A personal stylist will help you decide which items are best for you and will be able to give you a wardrobe well suited for a range of occasions.
Why hiring a personal stylist might be good for your job.
Dress for success. We’ve all heard this many times, and scientific studies have shown it to be true.
Want to impress people at your work, then dressing well is a good option.
How do we know this? Because of the “halo effect.”
The halo effect refers to how a person’s overall impression will influence how you will feel and think about their character. See someone well-dressed at work in a professional outfit; subconsciously, you might believe they are capable at work.
Do you need to hit pause on spending mindlessly?
Some of us lead wonderfully chaotic lives, diving from weekdays in the office to lazy weekend brunches, moving from dinner dates during the weekday to staycations over the weekend.
Whichever life you lead, you need to have suitable clothes ready at home to help you move effortlessly and stylishly from one event to the next.
Fast fashion has become a staple of clothing, and many international brands bring in new lines every few weeks. This helped create a “see it, buy it” mentality.
This mentality leads to an entire wardrobe, but one full of clothes that might be barely worn. Having unworn items in your closet escalates that all too familiar chaotic feeling of having ‘nothing to wear.’
Hiring a personal stylist will make your wardrobe feel like a carefully curated shop full of items that are perfectly suited for you! You won’t keep buying the same items repeatedly; instead, you will be purchasing items you need in your wardrobe.
A good personal stylist will be able to:
- Advise what type of clothes suit you best
- Help you understand what colors suit you best.
- Show you how to rework items that you already own.
- Pick out items that need a little tailoring.
- Organize a recycling pile
And once all of this is through, a great stylist will tell you what essential items are missing from your wardrobe. This process should leave you with a closet that is well organized and curated just for you.
Casual wear should be separated from night-time wear. Any underwear that no longer fits will be gone. Your go-to jewelry will be placed in an easy-to-find manner and should help you add some zing to your outfits.
On an everyday basis, this will save you time as well as give you renewed confidence. Imagine opening your wardrobe and feel as though your entire wardrobe has been hand-selected for you?
5 tips for hiring a personal stylist
- Trust. Find out about a stylist’s style. Check out their website or check out what they are posting on Instagram. You should quickly get a feel of whether you like their style. Whilst you don’t need to copy their style, you need to trust that the stylist is well-positioned to give you good advice.
- Process. You should ask questions about the stylist’s process. Will they be willing to repurpose existing items in your wardrobe, or do they prefer to do a total makeover? Either way, a good stylist should be ready to help you discover your own style and shouldn’t be too overbearing when trying to change your style.
- Time frame. Do you want a one-time makeover, or instead, do you want a personal stylist that can help you regularly?
- Cost. Set expectations early; does the stylist charge by the hour, the day, or over an even longer time frame? Understood the different prices so that you can choose the best option.
- Open-minded. Once you’ve found a stylist you can trust and are happy with the process and the cost, it’s essential to keep an open mind. A personal stylist may pick out items that you normally wouldn’t choose yourself. But don’t just say no. Try it. And if you’re not sure about how you might wear a particular item, ask!
Hiring a personal stylist might be a good idea if:
- You still need to figure out your own style in terms of who you are, your lifestyle, and where you want to do
- You want to create a better image, but you’re not sure how to execute
- You’d like to have a cohesive wardrobe that allows you to create numerous attractive combinations.
- You want to improve your image because of your professional or personal goals.
- You don’t feel your best, and you’d like some help with building confidence.
Which personal stylist do we like?
A personal stylist should be both creative and have an eye for detail. Hong Kong-based stylist, Beverley Cappleman of Little Black Book Styling, embodies everything a savvy woman would look for in a stylist.
Cappleman, who has been offering styling services for over twenty years, is known for her Wardrobe Edit.
The “Wardrobe Edit” service includes Cappleman visiting her clients in their homes and learning about their relationship with clothes.
First, Cappleman gathers information about the specific needs and personal styles of her clients. Next, she uses her keen eye for detail to assist with sorting through each item of clothing. Cappleman will determine which items need repurposing and which items should be recycled. After a session, each client will have a clear custom style-plan.
Key aesthetic guidelines
As someone who knows her way around style, Cappleman and Little Black Book suggest using the below aesthetic guidelines when editing a wardrobe.
- Focus on block colors, as busy patterns are trendy and not classic
- Save statement pieces, as these are easily paired with more casual items to add a pop of style.
A wardrobe edit is the starting point for your new image, and hiring Cappleman certainly costs less than purchasing a new wardrobe. This isn’t to say that shopping for key items to round out your overall wardrobe won’t be necessary, but people are often surprised by how many items can be given new life.
What can one expect from a professional wardrobe edit with Little Black Book? A reworked wardrobe, revamped style, and a refreshed attitude. You also come away laced with knowledge – how to pair things in a new way working with color, and better understand your body shape. You’ll have a whole new style strategy, and you’re still in your bedroom!
Do only celebrities hire personal stylists?
No, the mainstream has caught on about the importance of image. Your image can either be an asset or a liability. Everyday people now hire a stylist to help create a more professional or polished image.
Is hiring a personal stylist an investment?
Yes, hiring a personal stylist is an investment. It will cost you money, but you should be able to get a lot in return. Significantly, hiring a personal stylist will likely boost your confidence; it might even help you get a promotion.
It’s easy to sink money into the same outfits or the same pointless shopping splurge no matter your lifestyle. Rather than buying bundles of new clothes, you can reimagine the clothes you’ve got once you hire a personal stylist.
After you hire a personal stylist, we hope that each item fits your body perfectly, and you know how to pair the items together.
Buried in the stacks of clothes you already had will be gems you probably had forgotten about. A blouse you once fell desperately in love with but had nothing to go with it or a dress that you could not pair with the right pair of shoes.
You should come away from your time with a personal stylist knowing how to feel and look amazing in your clothes every day! Have we missed any tips on how to hire a personal stylist? If so, please let us know in the comments below.