Fitness in Hong Kong is important, but getting fit or staying fit in Hong Kong can be challenging. The city never sleeps; there’s always someone heading out for a drink and a bite to eat, and sometimes finding time to hit the gym in the city can be a challenge.
However, the great thing about Hong Kong is that there are lots of options to keep you toned, strong, and healthy – you just need to know about the best options. That’s why we have created the Hong Kong ultimate fitness guide.
Whatever your fitness goals, we’ve got something that’ll get your heart pumping.
Hong Kong Ultimate fitness guide
In this article, we’re going to cover:
- The best yoga studios in Hong Kong
- Reasons to get down to your nearest F45 studio
- Hong Kong gyms that offer free trials and discounted rates for first-timers
- The best gyms in Hong Kong
- Where to buy fitness equipment if you live in Hong Kong
- Powerlifting tips for women
The best yoga classes in Hong Kong
The high energy levels of Hong Kong can be truly captivating, but we all need a release from the hectic city streets sometimes. Fitness in Hong Kong isn’t just about lifting weights or doing high-intensity workouts.
Instead, consider yoga. Yoga is a popular sport in Hong Kong, perhaps, because yoga offers a peaceful sanctuary within a busy, lively city.
In fact, yoga is now so popular that half of Pure Fitness’s studios in Hong Kong are yoga studios!
Our favorite yoga classes in Hong Kong
In our article about the best yoga studios in Hong Kong, some of the yoga studies we cover include:
- IKIGAI yoga studio, offering unlimited yoga sessions for a fixed monthly fee in a very relaxing environment.
- Lululemon – not just about the cutest yoga pants in town, you can head to free classes.
- Yoga Union has an interesting take on pricing their classes; you pay what you feel the class has been worth to you.
- Pure Yoga– they have the highest number of yoga studios across Hong Kong; very convenient but classes can be crowded.
Want to learn more about yoga classes in Hong Kong?
Our article on the best yoga studios also covers why yoga is so important when living in Hong Kong, which types of yoga are available in Hong Kong, and the benefits of practicing yoga in a studio versus at home.
Why do we like F45, and where are the studios in Hong Kong?
If you’ve not heard of F45 yet, where’ve you been? It all started in a Sydney gym in 2012, and in 2015 it went global with studios now all over the world.
How does F45 work?
The concept is to do 45 minutes of high-intensity training. It’s a body conditioning program that will burn fat and build muscle.
You won’t be alone in your endeavors – every studio across the world does the same workout on the same day but don’t worry; you will never do the same workout twice.
We love F45 because of frequent strength training. You won’t be able to avoid key exercises like lunges, squats, burpees, pullups, or pushups, and you’ll find yourself doing most of these exercises with relative ease once you’ve been training at F45 for a while.
What does this mean? Well, it might seem hard at first, and you might have to start with modified versions of the exercises, but before you know it, you’ll be getting stronger and fitter.
Want to learn more about F45 in Hong Kong?
Our guide to F45 in Hong Kong lists all the F45 studios across the city and a price list for some of the best-located F45 studios in Hong Kong.
If you are interested in fitness in Hong Kong, give F45 a try. All Hong Kong ID-holders can enjoy a whole week of free classes.
Gyms in Hong Kong that offer free trials or discounted rates for first-timers
Hong Kong is notorious for getting people to sign up for long-term contracts, often a year or more, although you usually pay monthly.
Why are free gym trials so important?
Signing up for a gym is a commitment. That’s why free gym trials in Hong Kong are such a great idea. You get to try before you buy, with your freebie lasting from a day up to a week with the places we’ve looked at.
Gyms in Hong Kong that offer free trials or discounted trials
Save yourself all the cruising around the internet; we’ve pulled together a list of the best free gym trials in Hong Kong.
Some of the best gyms that offer free trials include:
- F45: If you are an HK-ID holder, you’ll be able to enjoy a 7-day free trial.
- CrossFit Typhoon: offers a one-week free trial of challenging, instructor-led CrossFit workouts
- Pure Fitness Hong Kong: for people new to the gym, they will offer you all classes and equipment for a full day
- Fitness First: Like Pure Fitness, you can sign up for a day, use any classes, and use any kit.
- ClassPass: This fun and flexible system allows you to book a huge variety of fitness classes across Hong Kong. It’s all based on a points system. ClassPass offers 14 days and up to 6 free classes free.
Want to learn more about free gym trials?
Want to learn more about the free gym trials? Read The 6 Best Free Gym Trials in Hong Kong
Did you get a great deal on a free gym trial in Hong Kong? Please give us the lowdown in the comments.
The best gyms in Hong Kong
After your free trials, it’s time to commit to a gym in Hong Kong for the long haul.
The best gyms in Hong Kong
In our guide about the best gym options in Hong Kong, we’ve included:
- F45 – high-intensity interval training. They alternate between cardio and weights; for example, Monday is cardio, Tuesday is weight-focused, Wednesday is back to cardio. Each workout will cover the entire body.
- House of Fitness – offers high-intensity workouts in a dark atmosphere with loud pumping music. The showers are surprisingly luxurious.
- Lights//Out – has a fun atmosphere; it’s like exercising while partying.
Want to learn more about the best gyms in Hong Kong?
Before signing up with a gym, ask if they offer discounts if you sign up for a longer time or if you pay for more than one month upfront.
Check out Ultimate Guide to the Best Gyms in Hong Kong 2021.
Guide on where to buy home fitness equipment in Hong Kong
The pandemic has seen demand for home fitness equipment surge. With gyms shutting down at a moment’s notice, it is good to have home fitness equipment to use to ensure you get a great workout.
Fitness equipment you can buy to use at home
There are so many different types of fitness equipment available from small items such as skipping ropes to heavy items such as a home squatting rack.
Other home fitness equipment items include:
- A treadmill
- A static bike
- Weight benches
Where to buy home fitness equipment in Hong Kong
- Decathalon: with stores across Hong Kong, this sports chain sells plenty of fitness equipment at reasonable prices.
- Amazon: an online platform with plenty of high-quality but affordable options.
- Escapade Sports: is a good option for better quality home fitness equipment items.
- 3xBands: great things come in small packages. 3xBands offers all the fitness equipment you could need for circuit training.
Want to learn more about buying fitness equipment in Hong Kong?
Sometimes it isn’t easy to know exactly what you should buy; in our article on buying fitness equipment in Hong Kong, we provide a complete guide on where to get the best fitness equipment, shoes, clothing, and other items.
We also have a section on our top picks for small effective gym equipment that can be used at home or a nearby park.
Tips on becoming a powerlifter
Are you interested in powerlifting, but you don’t know where to start? Our guest blogger, Sophia Khan, has written an article to help make powerlifting more accessible to women.
What is powerlifting?
It’s a fitness activity that tests people’s maximum strength on three compound exercises; squat, bench, and deadlift.
The benefits of powerlifting include:
- Fat loss and body re-composition
- Endorphines; you will feel great
- Meeting a group of like-minded individuals; great comradery.
The 7 key steps to powerlifting:
- Join a gym
- Find the right program
- Start with hypertrophy
- Perfect the basic lifts
- Attend a powerlifting meet
- Consider competing as a powerlifter
- Just train!
Want to learn more about powerlifting in Hong Kong?
Read Powerlifting for Women- The Best 7 Tips To Get Started. Sophia talks about her own powerlifting journey and explains that the powerlifting community is warm and friendly and has helped her with her journey.
FAQs about fitness Hong Kong
How much do personal training sessions cost in Hong Kong?
The minimum cost for a one-hour personal training session in Hong Kong is approximately $500. The average cost of a one-hour personal training session is around $650, and on the high-end, you might expect to pay as much as $1,000 an hour.
What is the Pure Fitness price 2021 of a membership?
A Pure Fitness membership cost will vary depending on whether you can get a corporate membership and which locations you select. You can still expect to pay approximately $1,000 per month for a single location like SOHO/LKF.
Memberships get cheaper the further away from Central. Alternatively, a Pure Fitness membership cost will increase if you would like access to all 23 of their yoga and gym locations.
How much should a yoga class cost in Hong Kong?
If you are paying per class, you can expect to pay anywhere from $200 and upwards for a single yoga class. The cost per yoga class will decrease if you sign up for longer-term memberships, monthly and longer.
What are the best gym memberships in Hong Kong?
The best gym memberships in Hong Kong are:
– Classpass: if you get bored easily and want a gym membership that allows you access to multiple gyms
– Goji Studios: if you want a low-cost, low-fuss membership. Nothing fancy; but this does the job & convenient locations are available
– Pure Fitness: if you want a luxurious gym with access to a wide range of classes, including yoga, spin, body pump, and more
– 24/7 Fitness: if you need 24 hours, 7 days a week access to a no-fuss gym; an advanced security system will let you in
– Lights Out: if you are looking for a super fun gym class that focuses on boxing
– F45: if you want to do high-intensity gym classes that focus on a cardio workout one day and the next focuses on weights
– Fitness First: if you like everything about Pure Fitness but looking for a slightly cheaper option
– CrossFit 852: if you want intense workouts with a focus on strength improvement and endurance
How much is a gym membership in Hong Kong?
The cost of gym memberships varies in Hong Kong; the biggest determinants of price are its location and the equipment available.
You can purchase a lower-priced gym membership for as little as $300 a month (Goji Studios) or a membership at 24/7 Fitness for a monthly cost of approximately $500.
Pure Fitness is considered a more high-end gym and costs around $1,000 (although it depends on which locations you select). Pure Fitness has 23 locations across Hong Kong, with around half being gyms and half being yoga studios.
Does Pure Fitness Hong Kong offer a free trial?
Yes, Pure Fitness does offer a free trial. To learn more about the Pure Fitness trial and other free gym trials in Hong Kong, read our article about the best free gym trials.
There are so many great fitness studios in Hong Kong, whether it’s yoga, Cross Fit, traditional gym classes, HIIT, or anything in between. If you love fitness, you’ll be sure to find a great venue to work out with like-minded people.
After reading this Hong Kong fitness guide, we hope you’re better informed about the best fitness options in Hong Kong. Now you just need to find the best classes you like.
Have we missed something? If you have some tips on fitness in Hong Kong, please let us know in the comments section below.
- Best gyms in Hong Kong
- Hong Kong gyms that offer free or discounted trials
- Where to buy home fitness equipment
This article contains affiliate links meaning I may earn a small commission for select purchases.