The Cheese Club in Hong Kong allows you to buy super tasty cheese at low prices.
If this sounds too good to be true and hard to believe, you’re not alone. We were skeptical until we tried it.
Now, rarely a month goes by when we don’t order from the Cheese Club. Don’t worry, we’re not here to traumatize you with fanciful dreams of delicious cheese.
Instead, we are going to tell you everything. In this article, we will cover:
- Why the price of cheese is generally so high in Hong Kong
- Why the Cheese Club can offer such good quality cheese at low prices
- How to order cheese from the Cheese Club
- Why cheese is fantastic in general
Have you been shocked at the price of cheese in Hong Kong?
Hong Kong is cool and all, but where’s the cheese at? We might be exaggerating, there is cheese in this great city, but it’s expensive and hard to get the really good stuff.
The lack of access to cheese in Hong Kong is particularly grating if you’ve migrated here from Europe.
If you’ve been lucky enough to have eaten European cheese in France or Holland, you’ll know that what you pay in Europe for super tasty cheese is a lot less than you might pay in Hong Kong for mediocre cheese.
Why is cheese so expensive in Hong Kong?
The main reason cheese is so expensive in Hong Kong is that it has to be imported across long distances. Like with most Western foods in the city, cheese has to fly a long way to get here and needs to be refrigerated en route.
This makes importing cheese expensive.
Also, you and your friends might be craving a nice chunk of cheddar or a smooth bite of brie, but that doesn’t mean there’s a huge cheese market in Hong Kong. With around 7.5 million people here, only about 690,000 are expats.
Some locals love cheese, too, but the numbers really aren’t on the side of cheese.
Without a huge section of the population eating cheese, importers can’t take advantage of economies of scale.
Just how expensive is cheese in Hong Kong?
It’s a truth universally acknowledged that good cheese ain’t cheap in Hong Kong. But even great quality cheese isn’t always easy to come by, no matter how much you’re prepared to pay or how huge your camembert cravings are.
Even standard cheese isn’t cheap here. Here at Savvy in Hong Kong, we don’t like overpaying, and we especially don’t like paying too much for products that aren’t of good quality.
In Hong Kong, you can expect to pay around $243 for 1kg of Perfect Italiano Parmesan cheese if you go to a lower-priced supermarket, but that’s nearly double what you’d pay in Coles supermarket in Australia for the same product.
We’re all about being savvy with money in Hong Kong, getting the best quality goods at the right prices.
We love cheese, and we’re not going to compromise, so that’s why we were so happy when we found a better way to get it; Cheese Club.
How do I make a Cheese Club Hong Kong order?
Ordering cheese from the Cheese Club is straightforward.
- You need to head over to their website with this link and join the Cheese Club. It’s completely free to join and free of any obligation – you will only need to pay for any cheese you order.
- Once you sign up (free of charge, of course) to Cheese Club, you will receive notifications about when orders are open. Generally, you will be able to place orders for a one-week period every month.
- After orders close, the cheese will land in Hong Kong around ten days later from Europe, directly to the Cheese Club. The Cheese Club will then divvy up the cheese accordingly and deliver the individual orders to everyone.
It’s simple, elegant, and effective, and best of all, it is a savvy answer to one of your most painful foodie problems in the city.
What are the 4 key reasons we love the Cheese Club?
- Placing your initial order gets you free cheese as well. Yup, free cheese. That’s never a bad thing. Use the discount code FIRST ORDER, and you’ll get a free Saint Marcellin, a soft French cheese.
- They often have new cheeses for sale; you will never tire of their cheese selection.
- You will receive an email notifying you that orders are about to open; you will also get additional reminders.
- The pricing is low. For a cheese addict, you’re not going to get this standard of cheese at better prices anywhere else in Hong Kong. A lot of the rest of Asia would be jealous of these prices.
What kind of a discount can you expect when you buy cheese from the Cheese Club?
European cheese is certainly available in Hong Kong; it’s not hard to find it, but the issue is the high prices.
After a few years of spending big money on tiny pieces of mediocre tasting cheese, we came across Cheese Club.
Once we found Cheese Club, we were finally able to indulge our cheese cravings because of the lower pricing.
The Cheese Club isn’t a place where we gather each week to gorge on charcuterie. Although wouldn’t that be something?
Instead, the Cheese Club utilizes an interesting purchasing model that allows you to buy cheese at the best prices we’ve found in Hong Kong.
Prices at the Cheese Club are up to 50% off other stores in Hong Kong. Check out this comparison table, and you’ll see the value straight away.
|Type of cheese||Cheese Club Price||Competitor Pricing||Savings|
|Comté 24 months||$30.90/100g||$60.00/100g||48.5%|
|Racelette raw milk||$18.9/100g||$27.30/100g||31%|
Why are cheese prices at Cheese Club so low?
Quite frankly, it’s the business model that they’ve developed at Cheese Club that enables them to sell such great quality cheeses without the massive price tags.
In a nutshell, the Cheese Club can keep prices low because:
- They don’t have to pay for the rent of a bricks-and-mortar-store
- They only place their bulk order to farms in Europe once individual orders have been placed.
- With large quantities in bulk, the Cheese Club can directly purchase producers (from local small farmers but also renowned cheesemongers), saving about 30% on the products’ cost.
- Since they’re only bringing in what has been ordered, the company doesn’t have to account for wasted stock. When everything that’s brought in is already purchased, costs are lower, and that saving is passed directly on to you, their customer.
Can you imagine a month’s worth of cheese sitting in your fridge? What does a month’s worth of delicious, imported cheese even look like? You might need to experiment.
Cheese Club: Is there anything else I need to know?
- Every month, you will be notified about when the ordering window will open and close.
- Don’t despair; if you’re in desperate need of cheese outside of the ordering window, you might still be able to order some cheese; simple email the Cheese Club and check on availability.
- A box from the Cheese Club makes a great present – most people would love to receive a package of delicious cheese.
- The Cheese Club doesn’t just sell cheese; they also sell wine, biscuits, dried fruit, condiments, and some fruit and veggie.
- At times, they will sell an even greater variety of food. For example, in Summer, they have a wider selection of rosé, and at Christmas time, they sell festive food.
Why are the benefits of eating cheese?
Cheese is great food. The choices are astounding, with seemingly every town and village across Great Britain, France, Holland (and many other countries) producing their own versions.
If you’re not feeling convinced, here are five reasons you should be eating more cheese:
- It can prevent osteoporosis due to its calcium content.
- You might get fewer dental cavities because it can prevent erosion.
- There are loads of protein in cheese.
- Around 40% of your recommended daily intake of vitamin B12 in a 28-gram chunk
- Your blood pressure can decrease from eating cheese.
Did we mention cheese is super tasty and an absolute joy to discover? Cheese also goes really well with wine, and we’ve got some great tips for super value wine in Hong Kong.
How does ordering from the Cheese Club work?
Basically, they give people a window to place an online; you have a week to choose what you want. The Club then puts in one bulk order and has all the items imported to Hong Kong. Once the items arrive in bulk in Hong Kong, the Cheese Club will arrange and package the individual orders and deliver all your items directly to your door.
We are committed to helping you find good deals around Hong Kong. Cheese Club Hong Kong is one of our favorite stores; we love it because of the quality and the price.
We hope that you enjoy eating their cheese as much as we do.
Cheese, biscuits, and wine? Yes, please.
- Our favorite stores for buying French groceries in Hong Kong
- The best cheap grocery stores in Hong Kong
- The ultimate guide on buying herbs in Hong Kong
- Where to buy kitchenware in Hong Kong
- The best online Hong Kong grocery stores
- Our favorite stores for buying wine in Hong Kong