Looking for the best moving companies Hong Kong in terms of pricing and service? We have your back.
Relocating to a new country or even just moving to a new apartment within Hong Kong can cause stress levels to creep up to insanely high levels. Booking a reliable moving company to help you with your move can help to alleviate this stress.
Generally, people want moving companies that are competent and ensure safe and timely delivery within budget. A good moving company should be able to give you extra boxes when you find yourself suddenly having more items than anticipated, and a good moving company should be able to offer you a range of services that you can select from. Above all, a good moving company should turn up on the day on time, and gently handle your beloved items.
We have found that local, independent moving companies Hong Kong offer both good service and value for money.
In this article, we cover:
- The best 6 moving companies Hong Kong
- Factors that will impact the cost of your moving quote
- When to book a moving company
- The benefits of using local moving companies
- Why getting multiple quotes is so important
- The importance of decluttering before a move
The best moving companies Hong Kong
1. Setia Movers
Looking for a moving company in Hong Kong that people often recommend because of the high level of service they offer at a low price? Setia Movers is worth considering. Setia is known for offering a quick and efficient moving service.
Call Ben at +852 3540-1149/ +852 6973-0495.
2. Yiu Ming Removal Co
Yiu Ming also offers a quality moving service at a good price. People who have used Yiu Ming tend to rave about the high levels of service and the price. Yiu Ming has a high level of repeat customers.
Call +852 2887-8605/ +852 9017-1793 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
3. Hoi Sing and Philip Movers
Hoi Sing and Philips Movers is a local company that is reliable, quick, and affordably priced. Don’t let their relatively-basic website fool you. When it comes to the moving process, they are extremely professional (and affordable!).
Contact Gary on +852 9628-5685. We have found Gary to be extremely responsive and helpful. No matter how many times we requested additional boxes for packing, Gary didn’t seem to mind and promptly delivered them.
4. Yun Kee
Yun Kee is known as being one of the most reasonably priced movers in Hong Kong. They generally won’t end up charging you more than their quoted fee. The team is highly professional and efficient, and they’ll pack and unpack everything for you. Contact Wendy Choy at email@example.com.
5. Asian Tigers Mobility
Asian Tigers have been in the Asian market for over 50 years, and they come with extensive experience with both international relocations and local moving logistics.
Their moving teams are known to be extremely thorough, efficient, and well-trained.
They offer everything from packing/unpacking, dismantling and assembling furniture, disposal, and short and long term storage. They also offer house-cleaning and handyman services.
6. GOGO VAN/ GOGOX
If you prefer to lower your moving costs even further, you can consider using GOGO VAN/ GOGOX. Gogo Van is basically a “man in a van” and is a good budget option.
Whether you want to move a few boxes or all of your furniture, it is as simple as booking an Uber. You can easily choose the van’s size that suits the number of items you need to transport.
There are several add-on options available, from getting a hand from the driver to choosing your own route to minimize tunnel-costs.
Know which factors will impact your moving quote
Often the first question you will have is, “What is the cost of hiring moving companies in Hong Kong?”. Well, the cost of hiring removal services varies depending on several factors, which include:
- The quality and experience of the moving company
- The type of move; whether it is a long-distance move or a local move
- The quantity and nature of your household items
- The moving date; weekend moves can be pricey; consider opting for weekdays
- The size of your move; the number of rooms you are moving, how many boxes and items you have, and whether there are any specialty items like pianos, antique furniture, etc.
- How easily accessible your home is, whether on the ground floor or the second or third floor. Whether there’s a lift facility or just stairs.
- If you want additional packing services along with moving solutions
- If you require extra moving services like pet transport, insurance, vehicle relocation, storage, and so on.
You can expect all these factors to add to the cost of moving companies in Hong Kong. You can decide your list beforehand and accordingly ask for quotes from your chosen moving company, Hong Kong.
Book a moving company around two months before a relocation
The next question that is often asked is, what is the right time to book movers when planning a relocation?
The answer to this question is as soon as possible. However, the rule of thumb is to book a moving company approximately two months in advance.
Being early has its own perks:
- It will give you more time to find a good price deal in your budget.
- You can choose from the best moving companies in Hong Kong, which may not be available at peak times.
- Booking in advance will give you ample time to pack your things.
- You might get access to great deals, offers, and discounts.
So even if your relocation date is months away, you can start work on securing good removal services in Hong Kong. This will help ensure your belongings’ complete safety with their careful transportation from one spot to another.
Just make sure you get your slot booked with one of the best moving companies in Hong Kong.
Benefits of local independent moving companies
While local moving companies often have websites that are not as sleek or modern as international moving companies in Hong Kong, you can at least reassured that these local moving companies tend to provide excellent services. Local, independent moving companies tend to provide fast, efficient, reliable services at lower prices than international moving companies.
Also, because they are mostly privately-owned, you can expect some pretty fast responses regarding questions about moving quotes and other questions you might ask.
Importantly, local moving companies tend to provide services for both domestic and overseas moves.
The importance of getting multiple quotes
It is worth your time getting at least 2-3 quotes so that you can compare and see what best suits your needs.
A higher quote may indicate that additional services will be provided, or it may simply be that one particular company is trying to attract more business.
Whatever the case, it’s important when obtaining quotes for moving companies that you get a good understanding of the services to be provided. This will allow you to make the best decision.
Declutter before a move
Don’t just allow movers to pack all your items blindly into boxes and move them to your next home. Instead, take the time to go through all your items before a move carefully.
Use the move as an opportunity to get rid of unwanted goods. Are there items that you no longer need? Do you have clothes that you haven’t worn in more than a year?
Decluttering before a move (instead of after a move) offers a lot of benefits, including:
- Saves money; you don’t have to pay for both the packing and unpacking of unwanted items.
- Reduces stress; you should feel a sense of relief if you know you’re only moving those items you actually want to keep
- You can make some money before you move.
- You can donate items to those in need.
- It will help to ensure that your new home feels fresh.
Ideally, start the decluttering process around two months before your move.
Decluttering can be hard work because of the sentimental items you’ll find and the emotions that will emerge, but all the benefits should outweigh the effort.
There are plenty of ways to get rid of unwanted items; click here to read our article on the best ways of getting rid of unwanted items, including tips on selling unwanted items and donating second-hand items to charity.
Do I actually need to hire a professional moving company?
No matter if it’s a long-distance move or a short one, whether you are moving to Hong Kong, within Hong Kong, or leaving Hong Kong and doing an international move, one thing is clear; you cannot do it without some help. If you really only have a few items to move, then a “man with a van” option might be ok. But, there’s almost no way to do a move without professional assistance.
If you’re looking to save costs on the move, do your own packing, and instead ask the moving company just to come and pick up your items and then transport them to the next location. Not only will this save you money, but it will force you to look through all your items, and it will give you the chance to declutter properly.
How can I get rid of my unwanted furniture and other items?
In Hong Kong, there are three basic ways of getting rid of unwanted items: giving to a friend, selling, or donating to charity. If you’re keen to sell or give away your unwanted items, check out our article on getting rid of furniture in Hong Kong.
If you’d like to know the full scoop on donating items in Hong Kong, read this article. Be aware that charities are generally looking for smaller sized furniture in Hong Kong and only accept items that are in good working order. You’ll also have to arrange a pickup/delivery date, and sometimes this might take up to a few weeks. So, book ahead!
What should be on my moving house checklist?
We’ve written an entire article dedicated to a checklist of admin items you should consider before leaving Hong Kong, but to summarize, here’s a list of moving house checklist items you may want to consider:
- Utilities (close your water account, terminate your gas and electricity accounts) including all telco related companies including your WIFI & mobile phone providers
- Insurance (you might be eligible for a partial refund)
- Bank account – consider if you will maintain or cancel your bank account.
- Club membership
- Do you have any leftover credit at companies such as a nail salon? If so, try to see if you can transfer these to a friend.
- Helper, give her as much notice as possible and assist her with finding a new job.
- Post office, organize a change of address so that your post can be redirected as necessary.
- Declutter your house. Don’t bring all your unwanted items with you when you leave Hong Kong, instead give away or sell what you don’t need, and pay lower moving costs by moving only what you will use in your new destination.
If you’re like us, and you like moving companies that provide both great service and value-for-money, we’re confident you’ll find one of these moving companies Hong Kong that will meet your needs. Get a few quotes, check out exactly what type of service each company is offering, and see which one suits you best.
We are committed to helping people with advice on everyday life in Hong Kong. We hope our tips on good moving companies Hong Kong help ensure your move isn’t too stressful.
If you’re leaving Hong Kong, check out our article on the Conclusive Guide to Leaving Hong Kong. We cover multiple topics, including how to sell a used car in Hong Kong, the best ways of getting rid of furniture, and the ultimate Hong Kong bucket list.