Are you looking for the best Christmas gift ideas for Hong Kong 2021?
If you’re in Hong Kong over the Christmas period, and you’re not sure where to go for holiday shopping, we have you covered.
With so many great deals to be had online, you want to get yourself organized early to ensure that you allow sufficient time for the items to either get shipped to your home address or to the recipient’s address (wherever they made be located in the world).
There’s a lot to organize for Christmas in Hong Kong. Worry not; the spirit of savvy Christmas is here to help you source some great gifts that’ll have meaning and value all in one.
We’ll be sharing our tips on where to shop for:
- Inexpensive Christmas gifts
- A true homebody
- Beauty divas
- The kids – yours or someone else’s, anyone who loves a little magic
- The health food fanatic in your life
- Locally-produced items
- Hong Kong-themed Christmas cards
Plus, we’ll recommend where to pick up some festive essentials. It’s time to start making your lists…
This article contains affiliate links meaning I may earn a small commission for select purchases.
What are some inexpensive Christmas presents in Hong Kong?
Dumpling coaster from Qraftie
If you don’t have time to browse their stylish and fun products, head straight for the coasters. Qraftie offers eclectically designed coasters that encapsulate Hong Kong and local style.
As well as being super practical, these coasters will be a conversation starter. They are sold as a set of 3 for $180 and come packaged in environmentally-friendly packaging. These coasters make a lovely small gift that is sure to please.
What is a great Christmas gift for a friend in Hong Kong?
For a gift that’s practical, thoughtful, and good for the planet, you can’t go far wrong with Pre de Provence Marseille Soap 72% Olive Oil Cube – 300g. It’s the most all-purpose gift you can get for someone, and it’s good for the environment since it has minimal packaging.
This wonder-soap can be used for:
- Your showering needs
- Cleaning the kitchen
- Cleaning your make up brushes
And pretty much anything else that you might want to use soap for.
It’s also super on-trend right now; you might have even come across Pre de Provence Marseille Soap 72% Olive Oil Cube – 300g on Instagram (like us!!). Do you need anything more from a Christmas gift?
What’s a good Hong Kong Christmas gift for someone who loves their home?
Candles from The White Company
Got a friend who’s all about the house? There are some great places in Hong Kong for quirky and unusual furniture, but you can’t really buy a chest of drawers for someone who’s thought so much about their home design.
Instead of statement pieces, consider buying a gift from The White Company, which we review here. The designs are classic and clean and should complement any home with their white and off-white products.
The company has a whole selection of Christmas gift ideas – plus decorations and tableware – and we absolutely love this Winter Botanical Large Candle. The smell of winter and Christmas is certainly evocative. Giving the gift of happy holiday memories is a lovely thought.
Where can I get a great Christmas gift for a makeup lover in Hong Kong?
Knowing that, would you expect us to recommend anywhere else for a beauty product lover? With Christmas being close, the site is packed with gift sets that bring together items for your friends to fall in love with.
- For the makeup lover in Hong Kong, check out this Benefit Cheers My Dears! Gift set, including a bronzer, eyebrow pencil, primer, and mascara.
- When your friend is all about skincare, you can buy them the Self Care Edit – a package from a range of brands put together by Cult Beauty themselves.
What are the best kids’ presents for kids in Hong Kong?
Christmas is really about creating a magical time for children. Your kids might be missing Christmas with extended family from around the globe this year, but you definitely want them having fun.
Keep your kids entertained, happy, and creative this Christmas with some fun crafting ideas. The kids who pop around with their parents will appreciate you having something to keep them entertained whilst you dissect the year with their parents over a glass of wine.
- Order in some washable dot markers from Amazon to keep little ones occupied. You get activity sheets, and the markers are easy to clean off and quick to dry, so you don’t need to worry too much about the mess.
- To really inspire creativity, this Kortes Art and Craft Supply for Kids will keep anyone happy. Set the kids a task of making Christmas decorations or presents and watch their minds tick over with ideas.
- Order a National Geographic Mega Crystal Growing Lab. I can barely say enough good things about this product. First of all, this product appeals to kids from a broad range; I’ve personally seen an 11-year-old gush after receiving this gift, and equally, my 5-year-old child was happy to receive this present. It’s a STEM activity; both educational and interesting. This is the kind of item you can buy extra of and stick in your cupboard. If you don’t need them for Christmas, you can surely use them for birthday party invites.
Best Stocking Stuffers for Toddlers
- Bathtub letter set These are so cute and will provide many moments of bath time fun!
- Jazz up their bath time water by adding color with Bath Dropz from Crayola.
- Play-doh play ‘n store is great if you have toddlers that enjoy creating.
- Water wow coloring books. These are brilliant for any wait time you have this Christmas – in restaurants or in the car. They can go anywhere and are at the correct skill level for toddlers.
- This animal stamp kit is a perfect stocking filler for toddlers – I have never met a toddler who didn’t enjoy stamping!
Best Stocking Fillers for Boys and Girls
- A mini flashlight
- A bright sticker pack so they can get scrapbooking whenever they choose.
- Get them a set of these LED spoke lights, so their bike is the coolest on the block.
- Kids love arty activities and go through paintbrushes quickly, so why not treat them to a Christmas set. Buy a paintbrush set for them.
- Sooper beads will have them entranced if you are brave enough to have a water play feature in your Christmas! Add water and these beads are a great sensory play experience!
What can I get as a Christmas present for a health food fanatic in Hong Kong?
Whether your health-conscious friend or family member does the keto diet, is vegan, or eats a gluten-free diet, The Store will have something for them. It’s a Hong Kong-based company, and they offer same-day deliveries, which can be helpful if you’re cutting Christmas shopping down to the wire.
This is one of our all-time favorite stores in Hong Kong and the reason is they sell a carefully curated range of high-quality health food products from well-known brands across the globe. Best of all, the pricing at The Store is the best available in Hong Kong.
The product range is extensive, so you should find something for anyone you’re shopping for. Here are some of our picks for gift ideas:
- A great gluten-free Christmas gift would be to put together a selection of products like almond butter, kale chips, and walnuts, which all look lovely and will delight.
- For the vegan in your life this Christmas, consider a basket with organic raw walnuts, matcha and cacao latte blend, and peanut chocolate chip protein bars.
- Keto-friendly Christmas gifts include options like raw almonds, cashew and cacao spread, and decaf ground coffee.
I want to support local Hong Kong businesses. Where should I shop?
If you’re keen to support local artists and give someone a gift that will endure, consider one of the authentically Hong Kong items from MINT. We love MINT, and we have referred to them before in our article on the best stores to buy Hong Kong-themed gifts.
As well as their famed, hand-painted bird cages in gorgeous colors, MINT also sells other hand-painted trinkets to brighten up anyone’s home.
Added to that, if you need some funky tree decorations, this is where to come, with mini dim sum boxes and bird cages available. Pieces from MINT will put a smile on just about anyone’s face. They have a huge array of colors to select from.
Best Gift Shop in Hong Kong for Christmas Gifts?
R&R is a local Hong Kong company selling plenty of giftable products, including their best-selling ginger jars, which are available in an array of shapes and colors. Be sure to check out their enamelware. Their Turkish towels are to die for and will please just about anyone.
If you’re not sure exactly what you want to buy, but you know you have a long shopping list, check out R&R. If you’d like to learn more about this terrific local company, check out our article on the best stores for buying authentic Hong Kong presents.
Ketika Crafts is another local company selling great options for Christmas gifts. Their all-time best sellers are beanbags, cushions, Christmas stockings, and other kids’ decor.
They can also personalize kid’s star cushions, which make great Christmas or birthday gifts, so order now to make it in time for Christmas.
Looking for a present for your dog? You can order a dog bed from Ketika. You would be surprised by how many dog bed orders they receive at Christmas-time!
Where else can I look for the best Christmas gift ideas for Hong Kong 2021?
With so many people to buy for – friends, family, gym buddy, office secret Santa – you need all the inspiration you can get. We’ve got a great Hong Kong gift guide with some super cool places to pick up gifts in Hong Kong for any occasion, but whilst you’re here, let’s throw some more of our favorite ideas at you.
This a great idea for a kid’s gift, no matter their age. Choose one of the Kiwi Box product lines that suit your child’s, select a plan and, then wait for the gift box to be delivered each month.
Inside will be STEAM-based projects, a guide for you as the parent, additional activities online. We know of a few Savvy kids that will be getting Kiwi boxes this year for Christmas!
Buy a book
We love the idea of giving a book for Christmas. They’re such a timeless item and can have a deep effect on people – it’s a wonderful gift to give someone.
Are you a follower of Humans of New York? Brandon Stanton, the creator of the powerful series of posts who shines a light on the curious and interesting people he meets on the streets of New York, wrote a wonderful book – Humans.
“Humans” is a deeper take on the stories he found in New York and across the world and is a beautiful read. It’s available on Amazon. This book is full of stories to make you weep and also make your heart leap for joy.
This book is full of stories involving the wonder and amazement of human beings’ resiliency—a great book to warm your heart.
Wine is a great Christmas gift that will please most people. Plus, it’s always handy to have a few extra bottles of wine handy over Christmas in case you have unexpected visitors.
If you want to buy some fabulous wine, consider Cocobop. This is a relatively new-comer to the Hong Kong market. Cocobop specializes in hip, niche, and organic wine. If you are looking for something special and unexpected, this is sure to please.
One of the best things about buying wine from Cocobop is that they provide a lot of information about wine and food pairing. So if you know what you’ll be eating, this makes selecting wine even easier. If you’d like to know more about our favorite wine stores in Hong Kong in terms of both quality and price, click here.
Where can I buy Christmas cards in Hong Kong?
Biscuit Moon Design
We’re all about supporting local brands here at Savvy in Hong Kong, and Christmas is no exception.
Head straight to Biscuit Moon for the cutest Christmas cards in all of the city. The designs are Hong Kong-centric, with trams, taxis, lanterns, and the iconic Hong Kong skyline.
Even better, they take custom orders. You can get a batch of personalized Christmas cards with your own choice of images and texts – you can save your wrist writing out your name a few too many times!
I’ve been invited to a friend’s house over the holiday season, what gift should I take?
Delight your hosts with something wholly useful and a little unexpected. Rather than flowers, order a cheese box to take round instead.
Cheese is a great gift. If you’re going to visit a friend for dinner, it goes great with dessert. When celebrating Christmas, cheese is the perfect accompaniment to wine and matches well with a range of spirits too.
Here at Savvy in HK, we love the Cheese Club, which we review here – you place your order once a month along with other members, and a bulk delivery sees you get great prices. Keep an eye on their Facebook page or their website to check when you can place an order.
But we have good news! On top of their wonderful cheese goodness, the Cheese Club tends to offer extras like seafood and cold cuts with their deliveries. For exact details on when these extras are available to order, you’ll need to check their website.
Great festive cheeses include:
- Blue cheese for a sharp flavor that goes well with candied nuts.
- Soft cheese, like brie, goes well with fruits like grapes.
- Hard cheeses, like a traditional Cheddar, are great to have handy for Xmas snacks.
Where can I find the best quality & value for money, food & wine?
Yes, generally, the Christmas period involves eating and drinking more than we should. But since you’re going to be eating and drinking plenty, you may as well be buying the best quality you can for the least amount of money, right?
We have you covered. Check out our reviews on the best quality and most affordable options for buying the following products in Hong Kong and stock up ahead of Christmas:
Christmas in Hong Kong is unique. With the relatively warm weather, you might not have too many opportunities to wear your favorite Christmas sweater but, you will have plenty of chances to enjoy a humidity-free, relaxing time.
Now that we have you covered with our best Christmas gift ideas for Hong Kong 2021, you can sit back and relax. If we have missed any great ideas on Christmas gifts, please let us know in the comments below.
And if you find yourself with some extra time over Christmas, consider checking off some Hong Kong bucket list items from your list.
If you’d like to know more about other handy tips for life in Hong Kong including how to use Taobao for English speakers, why a Selfridges membership makes so much sense, and more, check out the Ultimate Guide to Living in Hong Kong.